INDIANS SAY, THEY CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT INTERNET THESE DAYS. IT’S LIKE A LIFE LINE REQUIREMENT THESE DAYS AFTER FOOD, SHELTER & CLOTHING.
The digital revolution taken the whole world by surprise and everybody is actually loving it. This is surprise to now that a survey carried out globally says two-third of people in the world can not imagine a life without internet . Surprised? And the survey reports that the majority of people are from India and 82% people said, they can not think of a life without internet maintaining first place in the list where as in case of United Kingdom it is 78% remaining in second place and China remained third with 77% where as USA ranked fifth with 73%. See the full list below.
More than 500 Million Indian internet users by 2022
- The majority of Indian people use internet on mobile phone which covers most of the youth. In other words you can say, the majority of youth/young India uses internet.
- It is so because people always look for the cheapest mode for using internet rather than expensive broadband which require a desktop or laptop where as mobile is too cheap comparing to those.
- In 2016, approximately 323 million people used internet through mobile phones as per the survey which was about 24.3% of the total Indian population.
- It was only 26% of Indian population those who accessed internet in 2015 despite being the largest hub of internet users.
- But it was a huge boost from the internet penetration rate in 2011 which was about 10%.
- The internet users in India is mainly dominated by the men acquiring 71% in comparison to women with only 29%.
- And not last but the least India is the second largest internet market in the world.
SO, WHAT DO INDIANS DO ONLINE?
- Like all other internet users in the world, Indians too are passionate about social media, watching movies, search educational materials and many more like this.
- It is expected that by the end of 2021, there will be around 358.2 million users in the social networking websites which is a huge growth if you compare to 2017.
- Share of population accessing social networking sites to jump from 16% in 2016 to over 25%.
- India tops the world in the form of Facebook users which is the most popular social networking site in the world today.
- It was around 195 million Facebook users in 2016 from India excluding other popular social networking platforms like WhatsApp, Twitter, Google+, Skype etc.
- Apart from all these there has been a boom in the online shopping which has become very popular. The retail e-commerce sales stood at $16 billion in 2016 which is expected to surpass $45 billion by 2021.
Statistics Source: Statista, Information & Image Source: The Times of India